Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A lesson learnt...

-->
       I arrived in Douala airport, (which was the equivalent of a small train station in England) to be greeted by a bundle of joy named Fred, the director of Self Reliance Promoters. He is a truly lovely man with a gigantic heart. The city was crazy, so much hustle and bustle. I would have embraced it much more if I hadn’t been awake for the previous 48hours…I was knackered.
    We made our way back to the village picking up two other volunteers on the way who had also arrived at the same time. With our car running out of fuel and being sat on with 9 people in a car… it wasn’t the smoothest of journeys, but exciting none the less!
     The lesson I learnt, however, was when I arrived in the volunteer house (where I am living for my whole stay) to be met by three other volunteers. I could sense there was something not quite right when Fred dropped us off and the other volunteers were quite unfriendly towards him and simply listed all the problems with the house. It was a very strange atmosphere, but in my exhausted state I flopped in bed for most of the day.
      In the evening however, we were sitting around with the other volunteers and as time passed the evening gradually turned into them telling us how terribly awful this whole place and experience was. From the staff, to the locals, to the house, to the fact
there was no water… they bitched. I have never felt so utterly confused and disappointed. I sat with the new volunteers, none of us really knowing what to say.
     I went to sleep undeniably regretting coming to Cameroon. Why didn’t I choose Tanzania? In my mind, there were two options of this situation: they were right and everything was terrible… or they did not realize they were in AFRICA; things are much slower here, sometimes there isn’t water – I expected that.
     As it turns out – it was the second option. I can safely say I am having the time of my life. The locals have completely welcomed me into their community, the staff are amazing to work with, the volunteers are all great…. There isn’t anything I can really complain about.
      So what I have learnt: ALWAYS make my own mind up about what I think of a situation. Don’t let people influence me before experiencing something myself.  
     I have also learnt how important it is to experience new adventures on my own. I have loved the fact that everything about this experience has been just me, on my own, without any influence from back home. When I am in a situation by myself, no one knows who I am or where I've come from… I am open to everything – uninfluenced.
    Anyway, that is what I learn in my first few days here. So many incredible things have happened since…. Which you will be able to read soon when I get a chance to write more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment